This is for those that are always on the lookout for something better. Often they are the early adopters, the trendsetters.
Not to say anxiety doesn’t have it’s place. We’re not talking about the run of the mill heart pounding before a big presentation or the sweaty palms evoked by an awesome Tinder swipe. No, those are perfectly accurate brain/body messages getting you ready for what you need to do.
I’m talking 3 amazing alternatives to the type of anxiety that leaves you feeling pretty wrecked. The type that hugs as tight as a Minnesotan airport goodbye. Looms heavily over like a cloudy Portland day. That...well, you know the type I’m talking about. Let me break down 3 alternatives. There are probably more but these should get you started.
- Read everything you can get your hands on by Jeffrey Schwartz, MD. He and his team have done phenomenal work helping with people with OCD. The work is totally applicable to all anxiety and if it doesn’t totally change your life it will plant a seed that is sure to germinate and change your life in the future!
- Recent estimates put the number of adults suffering from anxiety at 40 million, with only a third of them seeking treatment. So....get treatment! Anxiety is highly treatable and you actually could pull yourself out of this pool. Don’t get me wrong, it requires effort and determination. But, I don’t think people realize how huge of a deal it is that people can alleviate their anxiety. Maybe I think it is a big deal because even though I’m skinny I will always have diabetes. No treatment can alleviate it. But yours is different and according to the numbers would definitely be an amazing alternative.
- Befriend it. Yep, you heard me right. Stop trying to kick it to the curb and when it comes knocking, welcome it in. This is definitely a “meta” alternative and continuous reads of Rumi’s The Guest House will aid significantly in this effort. The way to make this work is to treat it like a friend you see all the time. You know the ones. They are super easy to be around because they don’t demand your constant attention. They appreciate a little love every now and again but they aren’t intrusive and and they definitely don’t try to change your life.
Okay, there you have ‘em, 3 bonafied amazing alternatives to experiencing anxiety in the modern world. Go ahead, grab one by the horns and give it a go. Let me know how it works for you!
- Takeaway #1: Accept that you have alternatives.
- Takeaway #2: Dare to be different.